Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Conference weekend

Grandpa & Grandma Ordyna came to Indiana the first weekend in October. We have been looking forward to their visit since we waved good bye in August. It was a wonderful weekend. We were able to go and visit some special places from their past. Grandma had her 50 year High School reunion in Hammond, Indiana. Purdue is Grandpa's old stomping grounds. He briefly went here and played basketball but soon followed Grandma to BYU and convinced her to marry him. Grandpa returned and earned his Masters degree here. After the birth of their third child, they packed up and moved to Mountain Green, Utah.
So...even though Pete the Boilermaker is a ridiculous mascot and the Krannert School of business has captured Paul...I still hold a special place in my heart for you Purdue. This is where Grandma Ordyna grew up. Grandpa Ordyna saw her for the very first time here. She poked her head out the window to inform him her brother was coming out. From that moment...he was interested. He loves her so.
We met up and went to lunch with Uncle Marty (Grandma's brother) who lives in Merriville, IN. He is such a nice man. He was especially tolerant of our kids who are chaotic at restaurants.
One of the most special places we visited was the St. Michaels National Polish Catholic Church cemetery. Where Grandpa's parents are buried. Grandpa has many memories of attending funerals in this cemetery. Grandpa Ordyna has gathered hundreds (maybe thousands) of names for genealogy purposes. He is a man who appreciates and loves his heritage.This is the house that Grandpa Ordyna grew up in. Great Grandpa Joe built it. Grandpa painted that stair railing every summer.
Once we were back in Lafayette we enjoyed a relaxing conference weekend. Grandpa brought little projects for the kids.
Eden & Grandma working on a puzzle.In between sessions we walked to the Frozen Custard shop...but it was closed. Later, I found out it was robbed and a fire started...hopefully they open back up soon!

5 comments:

Steven and Kristin said...

What a fun, fun weekend!

jaordyna said...

What a great historical tour! That is a very interesting post. If you have the posts e-mailed to you, maybe you could forward it on to me. I'd love to have those pics.
I've never met Uncle Marty, so that was neat to see a picture of him.

That's too bad about the custard shop.

Bob and Julie said...

Totally FUN!! You forgot the most important historical event at Grandpa O's old stomping ground.....that's where I was BORN!! The beautiful Snow white!!! It was my house too for a while. We actually lived in the apartment in the back....but I was like little Ruthie....toddling along that driveway. Seriously fun times :) (Actually I don't remember a thing - ha!)

Grandma's house is seriously getting smaller and smaller every year!! The window on the left from Grandma Royer's bedroom and the one on the right was the front room! Oh man...I can still picture Grandma's purple bedroom....serious purple!! the bathroom was pink....totally pink tiles. I would go back during the summers and stay for weeks!! SOOOO many memories. I'm glad I'm the oldest!

The custard shop is hilarious....well...not really...but the story was funny! I'm glad you at least took a picture in front of it...phew!!...made the walk worth it :) Thanks for the pictures and the walk down memory lane. What a fun time!!

Bob and Julie said...

bedroom window on the left "IS" grandma Royer's bedroom window.....not "from"....holy toledo....I am OLD (and a little dumb too!)

Holly said...

Wow! I love it--thanks for the pictures. What wonderful memories you documented. So glad you got to spend time with the G.O.s--they are amazing!