Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Wife

Today I am taking a different turn. I seem to post about the same things…cute pictures of the kids, my latest shopping deal, crafts or sewing project and occasional outings. I thought I would scratch a little deeper and share some personal feelings. As I have gotten older I find it fascinating how my perspective changes. When Paul and I were first married he always referred to me as, “his wife”. I told him I thought that was annoying. People know my name, they know you are married…so why not just say Cyndi? I had forgotten about this until a few nights ago when I went to the play “Evita” with a friend who is in Paul’s law school section. (By the way, the play was fabulous…thanks a bunch Shelly) She mentioned that Paul always says, “my wife” instead of “Cyndi”. I had totally forgotten about this and how it used to bug me. I used to feel like he was taking away my identity. As if he was controlling my name with the phase that belonged to him. But now I have a totally different opinion. I understand now that he uses that term as a form of respect. I am not just Cyndi, I am his spouse, a part of him that he doesn’t want to ever be divided from. It is a term of endearment that no one else can claim! It belongs to me and me only. I am thankful for time, time which allows me to learn and understand things on a deeper level.

2 comments:

Bob and Julie said...

That's really nice. I think you have great insight! I love how the Lord gently teaches us...in ways we don't even realize until we have an "oh-yeah" experience years down the road. You are amazing!! I love you!!!

Cami said...

So cute! Isn't it funny, the things we obsessed over when we were first married - with no kids! I think a alot about how different I am and how much my prespective has changed, and how I am grateful for it!